Friday, May 18, 2012

Pekan Trips are getting nearer!! (Updated)

The feeling of missing the sight of fish nibbling at fishing rod tip followed by strong and ferocious bow, is getting stronger and perhaps overwhelming.

I thought I could do more bottom fishing trips at Melaka strait earlier this year but did not pursue it actively as the entry barrier to have one 3d2n trip there is higher. The sight of a goldish red shadow underneath the water surface while I retrieve my catch is always freaking thrilling. However, getting enough number of correct anglers for a trip is not an easy task.

Cost of a 3d2n fishing trip in Melaka Strait ranged from RM 4k to 5k, and it is obvious the penalty I have to pay if I could not get enought anglers to share the trip out out, is considerable heavy. While I shall wait for correct timing where I can make up a boatfull anglers for a bottom fishing trip in Pulau Jarak waters, I decided I shall do some bottom fishings in Pekan waters, within which the tusk fish shall be my main target fish.

Earlier in April I booked 3 trips to Pekan in an evening, right after I had good fishing chat with fellow fishos friends. The trips were just confirmed with skipper earlier this week.

So going fishing in Pekan on June 9th & 10th, July 7th & 8th, and July 28th & 29th!

Updates!


We did not take much photos on our June 9th and 10th trip but got few as posted below.


Bent of 20lb Shikari with a 45kg-ish sail fish at the other end.

During mid day my fishing buddy Derrick drifted a big eye scud out without any big plan in mind; was on a jig rig without wires and only with Kevlar line. When we were busy with something else, noise of big splash was heard the sail fish that took the bait already started her acrobatic escape. The sail fish did 3 U-turns to escape and made me went round the boat for 2 times when I try to bring it near to our boat.

Leader used was a 20lb fluorocarbon, something on humble side. In the 2nd run the saily took over 250m of lines out. Considering the worn and 3/4 full-spool braids for that reel were just been replaced on the night before, I was lucky!!


Cloudy sky when we were about to embark.


Derrick with Black Spot Tusk Fish, estimated at slightly over 3kg.

On the second day we tried jigging at usual spot where diamond trevally were found, for some 30 mins or so. Tried drift baiting at unjam area looking for mackerel too, but was not rewarded with any bite. Finally we switched back to tuskies fishing.


Skipper Ah Boy with his Black Spot Tusk Fish, caught using bottom-bouncing fishing mode, estimated at 3.5kg.

In total we got 10 tuskies in that 2 days fishing, with 3 or 4 of them estimated over 3kg scale and others in the 1.5kg-ish range.

We summarised the trip with the skipper with another trip planned later this year to tusky spots that are far remote and unvisited for few years!

Can't wait to have that trip happen!

No comments: