Sunday, November 22, 2009

2010 Northen Thailand Hampala Barb (Sebarau) Trip - The Outfit

Since the fishing is gonna be a lure casting trip, most likely I will prepare 3 outfits; 2 outfits with 20lb class (or thereabout) and 1 no. 25lb outfit.

Twinpower C3000

I have make not more than 100 times casting with bait caster in my life so far but got uncountable castings on spinning outfit. At the moment I have Shimano Stradic 3000 and a 16lb Procyon in my arsenal, meaning I need to get another outfit within the 20lb class. For that 20lb spinning reel I need to stock, the targeted reel is Shimano TwinPower C3000 loaded with YGK PE2 line, with 30lb good abrasive resistance mono as topshot. As for the rod, I am looking at a fast action G Loomis spinning rod. One of my fishing buddies proposed IMX SJR 722 to match with Shimano TP C3000 but I am yet to find time to have a visual check on it. However, I am skeptical about the rated poundage of SJR722 if it can withstand the brutal sprint of hampala.

The rod for hampala barb has to be fast action, so as to react faster with fish strike. For better castability, the rod has to be reasonably long with strong tip but compromise to the need of carry them to Thailand on airplane. For longer spinning endurance, you will need a lighter rod, obviously a graphite rod with little fibre mixture. My personal liking would need the rod to come in 1-piece, sensitive, with minimum number of guides and printed with "lok-chiak" if it is a custom rod.

Dec 4th, 2009
Ordered a St. Croix fishing rod just yesterday, type number: TIS66HF, you can have a look at the rod at http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/tidemaster-inshore. Yes, it is a saltwater fishing rod, I think american made freshwater fishing rod is cater more for sensitiveness and for saltwater fishing rod, the rod poundage is under-rated.

Collection shall be March, 2010.

As for the 25lb class outfit, it is meant for snakehead if we see them rising. I have no clear idea as yet on what outfit to prepare but would just grab me PE2.5 jigging rod with caldia kix 4000 if I am still running poor of idea till then.

2 comments:

Th3 FiR3 TiG3R said...

mr tang,

the last trip to Pergau, i was using a fast action rod for cranking. i find them too fast, and had i used a slower rod, the results would be more encouraging. if u are uring crankbaits, a slower, more glass-like action would be better for the situation & allow the lure to be 'sucked-in' and register a better hookup. while using the fast rods for crankbaits, i had a few thumps & bumps but prematurely striking it had me loads of misses.

Ah Kai said...

got your message FT...thx